The township of Bragin, as well as the entire region, is steeped in history. An aura of mystery hovers over the sites of primitive men, fortified settlements and grey barrows. Four kilometers southwest Bragin scientists unearthed a site from the late Stone Age.
There are 12 ancient settlements and 230 tumuli in the region. Most of them date back to the Iron Age or the end of the first millennium B.C. – dawn of the first millennium C.E.
The ancestors of the present-day Bragin dwellers are the Dregovichi tribes who once settled down on that land. They used to practice agriculture, cattle-breeding, local trades, fishing, picking up mushrooms and berries and hunting. Pottery, weaving and production of various articles from withe were traditional handicrafts in villages at that time.
The written history of Bragin started in 1147 as the settlement was first mentioned in the Ipatiy chronicles as a big town of the Kievan Principality.
Since the accession of Bragin to the Great Principality of Lithuania and until the end of the 16th century the town was ruled by the Lithuanian princes, and since the 16th century – by magnates Vishnevskiye. The town often changed hands ever since, and pursuant to the second partition of Rzecz Pospolita (1793) Bragin became the center of a volost in the Rechitsa uyezd (district).
On September 1, 1924 the Bragin region of the Rechitsa district was founded. Since June 9, 1927 the region was a part of the Gomel district (until 1930). Since January 15, 1938 – a part of Polesye oblast and since January 8, 1954 it has been an administrative district of Gomel oblast.
Scientists have detected 13 “drops” of the meteorite shower on the territory of the region. The weight of certain samples reaches 70kg and their total is 857,8kg. The researchers named these meteorites “Bragin” and put one of their fragments to the Bragin picture-gallery.